Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Baby is no longer a Vegetarian!!!

Not that I ever intended for her to be a vegetarian or that I even assumed she would be, but starting the pork trial today made me a little sad, selfishly so. I loved that my little one shared my vegetarianism! I knew it wouldn't last though-- even if meat is a complete fail initially with FPIES-- she used to bounce all around when I would cook bacon for DH when I was pregnant with her!

Anyways, day 1 went off without a hitch. She was pretty fussy in the afternoon and evening, but our lives have been so chaotic lately, it was probably just that. She has 2/3tsp that she actually ingested once I started putting it on the back of her tongue and about 1/3 tsp ended up permanently on the floor/walls/table/where ever she spit it out. (Initially just gagged everything out. So lovely!) SO not bad! What I did to prepare it: I found a nice organic pork chop, thinly sliced, and I rubbed it down with canola and a little bit of salt. I then placed it in a little foil packet and baked it (in the toaster oven) at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. It was tender and moist. I cut it in little 1cm by 1cm pieces (approximate) and shredded about 1tsp of it for her to try. Tomorrow we double the amount and so on. I put the little pieces in groups of three and made mini foil packets, threw them in a freezer bag and froze them for the rest of the week's trial. Here is hoping it is a success! As my DH noted, this is the first trial she has had in like forever that hasn't at least produced a questionable diaper or reflux symptoms within the first 24 hours, so this really could be a great sign of things to come.

So I am sad to be the only veggie in our house again but happy that B seems to be off to a good start, even if it is with a meat! Keep your fingers crossed for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment